by: on | in Movies | 69 Comments

Okay, so despite jokingly suggesting some studs that we think would have made a better Peeta than Josh Hutcherson, we pretty much love the whole cast of The Hunger Games. Every time we watch the movie (and obvs, we’ve watched it several times already!) we realize how perf every character was cast! Unfortunately… not everyone agrees.

We recently stumbled onto the Hunger Games Tweets Tumblr, and saw a ton of shocking tweets from people who did NOT like Amandla Stenberg and Lenny Kravitz as Rue and Cinna!

The last one just drives us crazy — especially because Amandla was adorbs, and Rue is described as dark-skinned in the book! So we’re so happy to see that some people are sticking up for her:

But believe it or not, Rue and Cinna aren’t the only characters people are complaining about — some critics are saying Jennifer Lawrence is too fat to play Katniss! Ya know. Because she’s supposed to be starving and all.

This pic from Jenn’s photoshoot with Glamour UK definitely proves she’s curvy, but fat?! Nu uh.

Despite praising her performance, The Hollywood Reporter mentioned Jenn’s “lingering baby fat” and Hollywood Elsewhere says she is too “big boned” to play a good love interest to Josh Hutcherson. Even the LA Times asked the question of whether or not a character from a supposedly starving District should look… hungrier.

What do you think though? Did the directors do a good job casting Rue, Cinna and Katniss? Or did something about them bother you?

5 Things The Hunger Games Movie Should’ve Included!

Tagged: , , ,

Previous Post feat
10 Clues: Guess the Movie!
Next Post Uncomfortable Movie Costumes: Chris Hemsworth in Thor
8 Most Uncomfortable Movie Costumes, From Hunger Games to Thor!

Comments

69 Responses to "Critics Weigh In: Is Jennifer Lawrence Too Fat For Katniss and Amandla Stenberg Too Black For Rue?!"

Catherine says:

I love Jennifer Lawrence but I didn’t think that she looked much like the book envisioned Katniss to be. Katniss was underfed so she was probably shorter and less curvy, so despite how much I liked Jennifer Lawrence’s acting, I didn’t feel like visually she fit the description that the author had of Katniss, who by the way had olive skin.

Andrea says:

She is not fat! And Rue couldn’t have been played my a more magestic actress. However, I do think that the camera work was terrible. I know it was suppose to portray a realness and by having a first person view it was suppose to make you feel like you were actually there. However, it left out a lot. We never really got to see all the characters outfits in the beginning with they were riding on the chariots. They were described and talked about but the camera never showed them to us. I was dizzy throughout some of the film and I found the camera work to be disorienting and it actually took away from the movie. I really hope they fix that in the other movies. Despite that, Hunger Games is my favorite movie.

Arya drotting says:

You stupid racisist Amandla makes a great Rue and shes so cute here is what my friend has to say” you guys are all racist what you said is very disrespectful shes just like us just with darker skin so u guys can just screw off!!!!! Rue was one of my fav characters.” i agree this really hurts me to think human beigns can be this mean . So as you can see we are very apinonated about this.

THG LOVER says:

All of them are perfect!! When you read the book before seeing the film you creating mental pictures of the aspect of the characters but then when you see the film is different of what you are thinking when you are reading the books.(for ex: One of my friends says that when she was reading the book she imagines that Haymitch Abernathy was bald and when she see the film she was like What????)

ella says:

they are perfect, especially Rue! I admit that i was a tad suprised about Cinna,
    but that doesn’t mean he isn’t perfect. i was surprised not disappointed. who could talk bad about little Rue? She’s my fav character!! anyway it said in the book ‘dark skin.’

sinai says:

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YOU GUY ARE BEING MAD RACISTS SAYING ” OH DO BLACK PEOPLE PICTURE BLACK PEOPLE WHEN READING BOOKS” AND HOW THEY THOUHT RUE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE WHITE MAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT FOOLISHNESS NOT EVERY CELEB HAS TO BE WHITE JUSS BECUZ WE WERE SLAVES AND I LOVE WHITE AND BLACK PPL BUT IM JUSSS SAYING

chelle says:

JEN IS NOT FAT! she is amazing and not the freaking stereotype anorexic actress that they want her to be whats so wrong with that and racist much!, amandla en lenny were cast because they fit the characters well its has nothing to do with being black! some people should be fucking bitch slapped!!! and yes im black! and this makes me fucking angry!!!!

Blanẍs :] says:

That will are perfect do not share that view! ¬.¬ I’m Spanish but i speak a lot of english ;) ok so i think that they are perfect!!

Blanẍs :] says:

That will are perfect do not share that view! I’m Spanish but i speak a lot of english ;) ok so i think that they ere perfect!!

Sara says:

Wow see this is what hollywood does to people! Jennifer is beautiful! She’s not fat, maybe a little curvey but who wants to be a skinny b**** with no curves…ewww thats just gross! And Rue and Cinna are amazing! So stop the B*****ing!

albergopalermo says:

Hello There. I found your blog the use of msn. That is a really well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

Nor says:

One of the interesting tihgns about this whole discussion is that people are doing exactly what real readers do they are creating mental pictures of the characters and, to take it a step further, are becoming attached to the characters. This speaks a lot to Collins’ writing style that she can create such vibrant characters that people care about. And the fact that people are making these connections, speaks to the fact that they are intelligent, active readers. The problem is when we insist that my mental picture is better than your mental picture because we build these mental pictures from the text and what we, as readers, already know. These are extremely personal images and to expect that any actor could even come close to what we all imagined is a bit absurd. The books are the books. The movie is the movie. As much as I would love to have the film look just like I have created it in my head, it’s just not going to happen. So, enjoy the book and your relationship to Cinna, Rue, Katniss, Peeta, etc. and let the movie speak for itself. Form new relationships with the movie. Just enjoy the ride. It will, no doubt, be great.