This is the boy Miley Cyrus gets to smooch in her new movie, LOL: Laughing Out Loud. Not bad! Douglas Booth is a young actor from London (sigh) who is about to be super famous here in America. He has four movies coming out this year, including a new adaptation of Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet in which he plays Romeo (he beat out over 300 prospects for the coveted role!) to Hailee Steinfeld‘s Juliet! Learn more about what Douglas has in common with Emma Watson and Bella Thorne and how he got his start in the biz.
1. Like Teen.com fave Bella Thorne, Douglas is dyslexic as well, but that didn’t deter him from dreams of stardom. At 12-years-old, DB played Agamemnon in a school production. “I struggled with dyslexia when I was young, so I knew that whatever I did it wouldn’t be academic. Then playing Agamemnon – well, at the age of 12 – I thought ‘I rather like being the center of attention’, this is where I want to be,” he told Vogue magazine.
2. At 15-years-old, he signed with the same agent that works with Robert Pattinson (have you heard of him?) and Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire).
3. Douglas used to play rugby, but was suggested to give it up so it didn’t mess with his dashing good looks. Good call.
4. This cutie is musical, too! He knows how to play the trumpet and learned how to play the guitar for LOL.
5. Aside from acting, Douglas has modeling chops and appeared in a few Burberry campaigns alongside
Hermione Granger Emma Watson.
6. His mom (who is half Spanish and half Dutch) and older sister are both artists.
7. When DB played 80s pop star Boy George for a TV movie called Worried About The Boy, he had to shave off his eyebrows for the part. Also? Boy George himself contacted Douglas through Facebook (yes, Facebook) to congratulate him on getting the role and offer a few quick tips.
8. Douglas had to recently delete his Twitter account (boo!) because of all the buzz his flirtatious Tweets were generating. Tabloids were convinced that he was dating his Great Expectations co-star Vanessa Kirby, which wasn’t true at all.
What do you think of Douglas Booth? Think he’ll make it big over here in America? Are you going to check out LOL when it hits theaters?