Dreams do come true, people! Thanks to The Glee Project, Alex Newell is now on his way to super-stardom. Although Samuel Larson and Damian McGinty actually won TGP, as well as coveted air-time on the famous series, Ryan Murphy (Glee‘s creator) gave Alex a shot on the show because he was amazed by Alex’s talent and too interested in his story to let him go.
Alex plays Carmel High’s Wade Adams AKA Unique — the newest front-man (woman?) of Vocal Adrenaline, who seeks Mercedes and Kurt out as mentors. So, who is Alex underneath all the glitter, sequins and sass? Read on to find out more about this unique (pun intended!) star…
1. Alex is a 19-year-old from Lynn, Massachusetts who has been performing since he was in diapers. He hopped on stage at a local fair, started singing, and that was a wrap!
2. Alex was one of the 34,000 people to submit an audition video to The Glee Project through Myspace. This is the song he sang:
4. He lost his dad when he was six, so he used performing as a way to deal with the emotional loss. His greatest influence is his mother who raised him!
5. His favorite fashion accessory is a scarf — he owns over 80 of them!
6. Alex was bullied until he claimed a spot on The Glee Project. Now? His bullies are leaving him alone. Take that!
7. His celeb crush is American Idol‘s Joshua Ledet.
8. Even though Alex looks (and is!) completely confident about his drag routines on Glee as Unique, the very first time he performed drag was in front of Ryan Murphy (no pressure!) and TGP judges. He told TVLine, “It was kind of hard. I was apprehensive toward doing it because my family was watching the show, and I didn’t know how they’d take it. But other than that it was pretty good.” You killed it, Alex.
10. As for life after Glee, Alex wants to head to Broadway! Maybe Rachel Berry or Kurt Hummel can give him some pointers on that.
Season 2 of The Glee Project starts this June on Oxygen!
What do you think about Alex Newell? Do you like the story line behind his character Unique? Will you watch Glee again next season?