We love Hunter Hayes, and you should, too. Let us tell you why, mmkay? Aside from the fact that he’s the most adorable thing on Earth, he’s pretty much the male version of Taylor Swift since he too has been performing since he was a toddler, he writes his own music using real-life experiences, and he’s on his way to achieving country music super-stardom. He’s already shared a stage with Rascal Flatts, Lady Antebellum, Keith Urban and Ms. Swift, AND he’s nominated for two Teen Choice Awards this year — Choice Male Country Artist and Choice Country song for his first single, “Storm Warning”!
Find out who Hunter’s going on tour with this summer, which Nickelodeon star he recently sang with, and how he got his start in country music below!
1. Hunter Hayes grew up in a small town called Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. He used to perform for live audiences in Cajun restaurants there, and that was where he figured out that he wanted to make music for the rest of his life.
2. At 4-years-old, Hunter took the stage with Hank Williams, Jr. (a famous country singer-songwriter), sang a song called “Jambalaya”, and totally broke it down on his accordion. Warning: What you’re about to see breaks all kinds of cuteness barriers.
3. Aside from the accordion (a gift from his grandmother at the age of two), Hunter plays the guitar, bass guitar, drums, keyboards and more. The kicker? He taught himself everything.
4. Hunter played every instrument on his new album Hunter Hayes, performed his own background vocals, and produced it. #overachiever
5. Hunter teamed up with Victoria Justice to cover “Almost Paradise” for the Footloose soundtrack. Take a listen to the duet here.
6. Itching to see Mr. Hayes live? He’s opening up for Carrie Underwood on the North American leg of her 2012 Blown Away Tour starting in August!
7. As of May, Hunter is the newest brand ambassador for C.F. Martin & Co.’s guitars. Hunter told American Songwriter, “It is an absolute honor to be named an official Martin Ambassador and to be recognized by the Martin family.”
8. Hunter’s song “Wanted” (the second single off Hunter Hayes) just recently became certified gold for digital download sales! Congratulations, Hunter!
9. Hunter has partnered with Con Agra Foods for the Child Hunger Ends Here Program and wrote a song called “Here’s Hope” specially for the campaign. What a softie.
10. When he was younger, Hunter had small roles in The Apostle and My Dog Skip where his accordion skills came in handy!
Are you a fan of Hunter? What is your favorite song on his album? Have you ever seen him live?