As we were doing our research about Rebel Wilson for this post, we noticed something about the young actress. She just kept getting cooler and cooler…and cooler. Seriously, it’s not fair how awesome this girl is. You might recognize her as Kristen Wigg‘s crazy, hilarious roommate from the ever-popular Bridesmaids, but there’s much more to Rebel than meets the eye. She has jumped right in to the acting scene over here in America recently lending her voice to Raz from Ice Age: Continental Drift, and will also be staring in Pitch Perfect in the fall with Anna Kendrick. Get used to her name, guys, because she’s about to blow up big time!
Find out why she decided to pursue acting, what her secret talent is, and which legendary person is her great-uncle!
1. Born and raised in Sydney, Australia, Rebel Wilson is an up-and-coming actress, writer, and stand-up comedienne. And yes, Rebel is her real-life given name!
2. Her younger brother and sister, Liberty and Ryot Wilson, were on the first season of The Amazing Race Australia. They finished in last place (sad face). Skip to 5:32 to see their intro!
3. Rebel didn’t always have dreams of being an actress. In high school, she wanted to have a career in law or politics! She even obtained a law degree from the University of New South Wales. She told the Herald Sun in Australia, “I could be a practising lawyer if I wanted to be. I don’t know how seriously people would take me, though.” We’d hire you!
4. While based in South Africa as a Rotary International Youth Ambassador, Rebel contracted a severe case of malaria. She was so sick that she had a hallucination about being an actress and winning an Oscar. Perhaps it’s foreshadowing?!
5. We think Rebel should start writing her Oscar speech rightthissecond. She was hilarious in Bridesmaids, played Chris Colfer’s best friend Malerie in Struck By Lightning, joined the star-studded cast as Janice in What To Expect When You’re Expecting, voiced Raz in Ice Age: Continental Drift and has a couple more movies in the works including Bachelorette with Kirsten Dunst and Pitch Perfect!
6. She is a distant relative of Walt Disney. Yes, the Walt Disney. Her great aunt married him! She talks about her connection here:
7. Her parents were professional dog-handlers, so Rebel grew up going to dog shows every weekend. She helped out her parents by being a junior handler. She talks to Craig Ferguson about it starting at minute 5:12!
8. She has a little bit of training in martial arts and can toss around nun-chucks like an absolute pro. Watch her take on comedian Ken Jeong here!
9. Last year, Rebel became a spokeswoman for Jenny Craig in Australia along with Spice Girl Mel B. She’s since lost over 33 pounds on the system! Go Rebel!
10. She has two middle names — Melanie Elizabeth. Rebel and each of her siblings have a regular middle name and then a third name after British royalty! Reb got the Queen.