When her training partner and former Olympian, Alicia Sacramone, who was known as being the team’s leader, got hurt before a competition, it was up to Alexandra Raisman to step up and become their backbone. Since then, Aly has not only become an integral support system for her fellow gymnasts, but she is favored to help Team USA bring home a gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics! Keep reading for more interesting facts about Aly, like why she looks up to Taylor Swift and loves Pretty Little Liars!
And come back every day at 12pm ET for the deets on the rest of the 2012 US Olympics Womens Gymnastics team!
1. At 18-years-old, Aly is the oldest member of the women’s gymnastics team. Insane, right? Annnnnd she was just named the captain, too. Pretty impressive if you ask us.
2. Even though she doesn’t get much down time, when she does, she likes to shop, hang out with her family and friends and watch television. Her favorite show is Pretty Little Liars!
3. Aly is obsessed with fashion. She even helps design her leotards for competitions and was a model for Ralph Lauren!
4. Recently, Aly and her family got a taste of the Kardashian lifestyle when they had a camera crew follow them around for a few weeks while fimling a documentary about Aly’s life, Aly Raisman: Quest for Gold.
5. While teammate Jordyn Weiber has Bieber Fever, Aly is obsessed with the Boston hockey team, the Bruins! When their star player Tyler Seguin tweeted wishing her good luck, she freaked out!
6. When she was younger, Aly was obsessed with watching the 1996 Women’s Olympic Gymnastics team compete. She watched the tape so many times, she memorized each girl’s score! Now that’s dedication.
7. Aly joined the likes of Victoria Beckham and Beyonce when she was featured in the June 2012 issue of Vogue Magazine! PS, those wings you see are actual wings worn at the Victoria’s Secret fashion show!
8. Even though Aly finished her senior year of high school online in order to focus on gymnastics, she still got to attend prom with her friends. Look at the cute way her date asked her to go with him! Awwww!
9. For good luck, Aly has to call her parents before every meet just so she can hear their voices before she competes. Clearly, the phone calls have been working for her!
10. Besides her parents, Aly says that her role model and favorite musician is Taylor Swift. She told J-14, “”She is such an amazing person because she is so humble, genuine, and doesn’t let the fame and her accomplishments change her personality. She has accomplished so much at such a young age. I also love how family is so important to her.”