At this point in time, we’re sure that we can all accept fairy tales becoming live-action movies. Snow White and the Huntsman, Mirror Mirror, Beastly, Jack the Giant Slayer… you get the point, they’re in. So it should come as no surprise that Cinderella‘s getting the same treatment. As of now, Cate Blanchett’s the only one confirmed for the upcoming film, and the part of Cinderella is still up for grabs. Saoirse Ronan’s name has been thrown into the mix as a potential fit, but we think this one has a better ring to it: Emma Watson. Variety‘s reporting that the Harry Potter heroine is in talks for the flick. And we think HP totally prepared her for this moment. Here’s how:
1. She already knows the rules of magic. Like the princess spell that ends at midnight in the fairy tale, Hermione Granger’s had to deal with similar witchcraft. Polyjuice Potion, anyone?
2. She’s used to working around animals. Cinderella’s best friends are rats; being around Ron’s Scabbers for years was good practice. Plus she held onto a troublesome cat, Crookshanks, for eight movies, and took on everything from three-headed dogs to dragons (so what if they were fake?), so it’s safe to say that she can handle whatever critters the Disney film would throw her way.
3. She’s not afraid to get her hands (or the rest of her body) dirty. Even prior-to-being-a-princess Cinderella would gasp if she saw how disheveled Emma had to look in some of her films; particularly in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2.
4. She’s familiar with huge ballroom scenes. And getting guys to fall for her. In the fourth installment to the HP franchise, Hermione charmed the pants off Viktor Krum, who every other girl had their eyes on, and went with him to the Yule Ball. This scene was pretty much straight out of a storybook… until her feelings for Ron got in the way.
5. Castles. Hogwarts. ’nuff said.