I am here to tell you that the movie adaptation of The Fault In Our Stars emotionally destroyed me in ways that I never thought were possible. If you haven’t seen the movie yet (which you totally need to, like, ASAP), you’re in for a jam-packed emotional roller coaster
that only goes up that will actually make you feel physically exhausted as soon as the credits begin rolling.
To give you a little background on myself, I read the TFiOS book about two years ago. And, while I definitely cried while reading some parts, it wasn’t anything like the blubbering mess I became at the movie theater. On another note, I’m not the type of person who typically cries at sappy love stories. Like, I don’t even think The Notebook is that sad. But wow — Ansel Elgort, you deserve a standing freaking ovation for this performance. Three words: gas station scene. UGH.
So, whether you saw the movie already or are simply preparing yourself for what’s to come, these are the stages of emotions I went through while seeing the film. As expected, there may be spoilers involved. You’ve been warned…
1. Anxiety. There’s been so much building up to this moment! Please, please, please let this movie be all that the book was.
2. Determination. Okay…20 minutes in and I haven’t cried yet! So far so good!
3. Questioning. Wait…am I actually laughing? This is great! Pshhh, what were all those people talking about?
4. Realization. What’s the moisture forming in my eyes? He just loves her so much!!
5. Shock. Wait, why am I shocked? I knew this was going to happen — I read the book! But UGH GUS, NONONO!
6. Understanding. That’s it. Mic drop. Stick a fork in me because I’m done. It’s all downhill from here.
7a. Acceptance. Welcome, tears! Seems like you’ll be sticking around for a little while.
7b. ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THAT EULOGY?!
7c. AND THE GAS STATION SCENE?!
8. Comfort. Whew, the girl next to me just dry heaved. At least I’m not alone. Anyone want a tissue or 30?
9. Overwhelming Emotion. When Shailene cries, I cry. My stomach hasn’t hurt this bad since I got food poisoning three years ago…
10. Confusion. The movie’s over but What. Just. Happened? Will my soul ever be lifted from the vortex of feels?! (Spoiler alert: the answer is no)
What a fan-freakin’-tastic movie. Kudos, John Green!