TV comedies are funny by nature, but when other countries get involved in the naming process, things only get funnier. If you thought ’90s romantic comedies had funny translations, just wait until you discover the hilarious translations that come as a result of TV comedies airing in different countries.
From Arrested Development to The Middle, there are ten super funny shows with even more hilarious foreign translations. Prepare to laugh in 3… 2… 1!
1. How I Met Your Mother — Finland had more of a fairy tale approach to this comedy’s title, calling it At First Glance. Oh, how we wish it were love at first glance. Maybe we could have figured out who the mother was sooner this way!
2. The Big Bang Theory — Yay for Slovakia’s hilarious title! Theory of Large Cod is witty and nerdy and great. Okay, so it doesn’t really make sense, but it’s quirky, which totally fits the show.
3. Community — Finland calls this community college-based show, Return to the Console. What does this even mean? What console? The TV console or computer console? It’s so bizarre.
4. Arrested Development — France went for a literal approach with its title, Arrested Development: The New Poor. This is totally on point and funny. The poor Bluth family is SO the new poor.
5. 30 Rock — Brazil calls this NBC fave, A Mad TV. Why didn’t we think of this? Everything about this series is mad!
6. 2 Broke Girls — Finland’s version, Empty Pockets, doesn’t have quiet the same ring to the original title. Empty Pockets does, however, sound way less sad than saying you’re actually broke.
7. The Middle — Poland clearly doesn’t know where Orson, Indiana is. They call the hilarious family-style comedy, Hub of the Universe. We hate to break it to you, Poland, but this show is about the middle of nowhere America, not the central hub of the universe.
8. Orange is the New Black — Vietnam dubbed this award-winning series, American Prisons. Although it is about a women’s prison, it is SO not the story of an average American prison… or so we think.
9. Baby Daddy — ABC Family’s adorable comedy about a guy becoming a dad can perfectly be summed up with Portugal’s title, Father Surprise. If becoming a father after someone drops a baby on your doorstep isn’t a surprise, then we don’t know what is!
10. Ground Floor — Finland might have taken this show too literal calling it, Rich and Love. Sure the show’s about seeing if romance can work between a rich top floor guy and a ground floor maintenance girl, but office romance should be about more than money, duh!