We’d like to think that the stars of our favorite shows are as close IRL as they seem on screen. Of course, that’s not usually the case. Sometimes the issues are money-related, like when Jennette McCurdy said that Ariana Grande received a higher salary than she did. Or sometimes co-stars date and then break up, which is bound to cause awkwardness.
There are always rumors of behind-the-scenes cat fights, but it’s rare that the drama unfolds for the whole world to see. Thanks to social media, it’s become more and more common for celebrities to reveal juicy secrets right to their fans. Check out these megastars who took their feud to Twitter and Instagram:
1. Jennette McCurdy vs. Ariana Grande — Tensions were high on the Nickelodeon set of Sam and Cat, especially during its last few months. After the show wrapped, Jennette debuted a brand-new web series, What’s Next for Sarah?. The third episode features a character named “Gloriana,” an exaggerated, super obnoxious version of Ariana!
Celeb blogger Perez Hilton loved the Ariana slam and tweeted Jennette asking to guest-star as Gloriana’s brother. Jennette tweeted back, “@PerezHilton oh my god yes!! Or gloriana’s boyfriend who gets cheated on 8 times?”
Perez responded, “@jennettemccurdy OMFG!!!!! Too good!!!!! I’m not even joking! Let’s make this happen! P.S. I heard that Gloriana gets around!”
The tweets have since been deleted (wonder why?!), but you can check out the show’s Ariana spoof here:
2. Ariana Grande vs. Victoria Justice — At this point, it’s safe to say that Ariana tends to spar with her co-stars. Ari used to respond to fan questions through an ask.fm account, which she published on her Twitter. A fan accused Ariana of ruining Victorious by starring on Sam and Cat, to which she responded, “Sweetheart the only reason Victorious ended is because 1 girl didn’t want to do it. She chose to do a solo tour instead of a cast tour. If we had done a cast tour, Nickelodeon would have ordered another season of Victorious while Sam & Cat filmed simultaneously, but she chose otherwise. I’m tired of this bs.”
3. Victoria was quick to respond, tweeting, “Some people would throw some1 that they consider a friend under the bus just 2 make themselves look good. #StopBeingAPhony #IfOnlyTheyKnew”
Ariana’s ask.fm answer and Victoria’s fiery response have both since been deleted.
4. Nina Dobrev vs. Ian Somerhalder — These two made a gorgeous TV couple on The Vampire Diaries, but their real-life romance failed in 2013 after an impressive 3-4 years of dating. They tried to keep the breakup drama-free, but rumors of a feud kicked up when Ian began dating Nikki Reed.
Nikki and Ian got engaged, and Nina conveniently posted this cryptic Instagram right around the same time as their announcement:
5. The result? Ian threw his ex some very public shade by unfollowing her on Twitter! Fans were quick to notice the diss, especially because Nina still follows him. Ian and Nikki are married now, but hopes are still high that he and Nina will eventually reunite!
6. Skai Jackson vs. Debby Ryan — Behind the scenes of Disney Channel’s Jessie, Skai was definitely not a fan of the show’s biggest star! A fan informed Debby via Tumblr that Skai had been completely slamming her through a private Twitter account. Apparently, Skai accused Debby of being a bully and using hard drugs.
7. Debby went on to say said preteen actors (like Skai) can be insecure and difficult to work with, and she had done her best to make the set inclusive and fun for the whole cast. She also wrote, “I won’t speak on specific people, because it’s unprofessional to slander coworkers online, but if I had one wish for every child that’s an actor — especially those that tend to be the mouthpiece for parental maliciousness — I’d wish for complete contentment, emotional security and that they’d somehow find the joy in telling stories.”
Yikes — dissing Skai’s parents! Don’t f*** with Debby.
8. Alexa Nikolas vs. Jamie Lynn Spears — These two played BFFS on Zoey 101, but it’s no secret that IRL, they hated each other! Alexa reportedly quit the show because of an “uncomfortable working environment” caused by Jamie; other reports say that Jamie Lynn demanded that producers fire Alexa.
It’s been almost a decade since all that drama, but Alexa’s apparently not over it: She and Jamie Lynn share a birthday and, on that day in 2015, Alexa Instagrammed a pic of the two of them with the caption, “We share the same bday but not the same personality…thank God. #meanie #rude #sucks so glad those days are over :)”
In a comment, she added: “#notbffsinreallife”
She later deleted the comments. Probably because it’s super embarrassing to still be worked up about a feud that’s TEN YEARS OLD. Move on!
9. Zac Efron vs. Vanessa Hudgens — While promoting his 2014 movie, That Awkward Moment, Zac took part in a Q&A session with the cast. Snippets of the conversation were published on his Twitter, including a dig at his High School Musical co-star and ex-girlfriend, Vanessa!
Zac was fielding questions about his love life when he noted that he isn’t a fan of sexting because he’s “always worried about where they will end up.” That’s a slight jab at V, whose nude pics have leaked on the Internet… on several occasions. (The girl has had some trouble learning from past mistakes.)
10. Nicki Minaj vs. Mariah Carey — Mariah and Nicki both have BIG personalities — and, by most accounts, big egos. So it must have been completely insane behind the scenes of American Idol when the two superstars were both judges! The drama began when Mariah pointed out that Nicki’s never had a single reach the No. 1 position on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.
Nicki was not amused, tweeting:
All dem #1s but JLo phone ringin? Lol. I guess having a personality, being a secure woman, and giving genuine critique still trumps that.
— NICKI MINAJ (@NICKIMINAJ) May 2, 2013
What u SHOULD be doing (wit your messy ass) is asking why a woman SO successful at her age, is still so INSECURE, and bitter @perezhilton
— NICKI MINAJ (@NICKIMINAJ) May 2, 2013